I have a soft heart for little runts. Poor things are so tiny and frail. Most of them don’t survive. Luna was the smallest kitten in her litter, but full of spunk and attitude. She belonged to a friend of a friend who had too many cats and was looking for a home for the kitten. I first met her when she was 4 weeks old. Happy and full of energy, she was running all over the place with her little tail pointing straight up in the air.

I took the kitten home on the 4th of July weekend in 1995. By then she was about 8 weeks old. When I got home she seemed lethargic but I chalked it up to the change of her environment. When hours went buy and she wouldn’t get up, I took her to the vet. I still remember the look on his face. It was a nasty case of pneumonia. He told me to take her home and not to bother to give her a name because she most likely wouldn’t make it through the weekend. He gave me a prescription and ushered me out the door.

Di picked her up, put her on a pillow and placed her in the warm sunlight in her bedroom window. She nursed the kitty for the entire weekend. Completely ignoring the festivities, she fed her, gave her water and carried her to the litter box. Di stayed with her day and night. Amazingly after a couple of days, Luna woke up full of energy exploding like fireworks in the sky. We took her outside and she lifted her little tail and dashed through the yard. Thru the years, Luna became our constant reminder of what can be accomplished with faith, strength and hope.

Luna2Luna also taught us how to be grateful. Every time Di was sick, she returned the favor over and over again, staying in bed with her until she would get better. She would also come to my bed to comfort me in times of distress and sorrow.

As she gets older, her ability to sense sickness has increased. She insisted on sitting on my brother in law’s lap when he came to visit us in between trips to the Mayo clinic, totally disregarding his dislike of felines.

She has bonded with my neighbor unbeknownst to me until this morning. He asked me how she was doing, full of concern, after her big cat fight last night. We talked for a few minutes. I knew Luna had been visiting him when he described her dislikes and quirky personality. He told me about his struggles with cancer and that now he was terminal. I apologized to him for not telling him Luna might visit him after sensing his illness. He was unaware of her comforting nature, thinking her daily visits were just out of curiosity. But then his face lit up when he realized she had started keeping him company right after his cancer diagnosis.

My husband and I joke about getting her a “nurse kitty” uniform. It’s our own way of coping with the fact our 15 year old miracle could be leaving us anytime, taking the gift of giving hope and comfort with her. I love how the best perfumes come in the tiniest bottles.



(Luna went to heaven on January 3, my brother in law on January 25 and my neighbor on February 5 of 2011.  They are all free from cancer, resting in peace in the Glory of God and suffer no more.  We will miss them until we meet again.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: